Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Moon over South America

This will be a short entry, as I'm about to depart the city of Valdivia (whose colorful riverside fish and produce market is pictured here) for the southern Chilean town of Puerto Octay on Lago Llanquihue (pictured below, at sunset, with Volcán Osorno in the background). At the same time, I want to mention/promote the relaunched website of Moon Travel Guides, my main publisher, for whom I do guidebooks to Argentina, Buenos Aires, Chile, and Patagonia. Much more interactive than it has been, it now offers many more travel planning suggestions than in the past.

At the same time, it's featuring informative blogs by Moon authors/experts such as Josh Berman (Tranquilo Belize), Chris Baker (Cuba & Costa Rica Journal), and Al Argueta (Guat's Going On; Al succeeded me as author of Moon Handbooks Guatemala, ). I will also be participating in this through my Moon over South America, which will include some of the same entries as this blog, but will also include original work for the Moon site. This will be the place to learn the latest, and ask your questions, about travel in the Americas.

2 comments:

Katie said...

First off, good luck with your new blog over at Moon. I enjoy your Southern Cone Travel blog, and I'll be sure to check out the other one as well.

At the end of February, I'm traveling on LAN from NYC to Buenos Aires with a substantial layover (6 hours) in Lima. I've never been to Lima, and I was hoping to get out and see something of the city while I'm there.

I'm considering taking a cab to the Miraflores area to see the lighthouse, take in the views of the ocean and just walk around and enjoy different surroundings. I'm assuming that my luggage will be checked through to my connecting flight so I won't have to deal with it (although I read that there's a left luggage facility at Lima's airport for my carryons). What do you think of the plan, Wayne?

Wayne Bernhardson said...

Katie, I haven't been to Lima in more than 20 years, except for a stopover en route to Santiago, so I can't answer your question definitively. However, I think it should be possible.

Custom Search