Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pope Argentinus I, The Musical: Ragtime Meets Tango

I am not religious, in fact I'm irreligious, but I can't ignore the ascension of an Argentine pope who threatens to upstage President Cristina Fernández (who has her differences with the church in general and the former Cardenal Bergoglio in particular). The Cardinal will relocate from his post in Buenos Aires's Catedral Metropolitana (pictured below) to a bigger stage in the Vatican.
More in the near future but, for the time being, enjoy Tom Lehrer's observations on liturgical music reform:
Popes may be replaceable, but Lehrer is not. In fact, to continue with the Argentine theme, he even composed his own distinctive tango:

3 comments:

Roger said...

Tom Lehrer is a master of many things, a few of which are good piano chops and great wit. It's great to see him in a video. Thanks.

Wayne Bernhardson said...

And, I believe, he still lives in Santa Cruz.

Laura Martone said...

I agree with Roger - and second his thanks!

Custom Search